Friday 12 August 2011

Anisodontea capensis and Crocosmia

Anisodontea capensis


Anisodontea capensis is the plant I was bought a few weeks ago at Ocklynge Manor and have now got it out in the garden. I had never come across it before. It is commonly called African Mallow which I can sort of see, it does look like a mallow. It is said to flower throughout the summer to early autumn. They can survive outside in a sheltered area and up until a couple of years ago I would have said it would be fine here in Sussex. However, after two cold winters when we had quite a bit of snow I am no longer so sure. It can be propagated by taking cuttings in September so I will have to try and remember to do that. Otherwise it means digging it up in the autumn and overwintering it in the greenhouse.


Crocosmia are good performers each year in the garden and these red ones which I think are Crocosmia Lucifer have been in the same spot for about 7 years. They always seem to do fairly well and apart from some manure applied in the spring don't really get much attention. They brighten up that area of the garden quite well. I did have a kniphofia there as well, but that only lasted a year or so before completely disappearing! I am not sure what the problem was, but maybe the ground was too poor and dry.


Crocosmia Lucifer

In Cornwall a few years ago the common orange crocosmia which I always knew as monbretia was everywhere, even growing by the side of the road. I did read whilst we were down there that they have spread so much that they are regarded as rather a menace and there are schemes to try and get rid of them to preserve the native wild flowers.





No comments:

Post a Comment