Saturday 10 September 2011

10 years on...

Ten years ago on Monday we moved into this house. As a consequence of the horrific events that happened in America the day before I will always be able to remember the date. I was busy on September 11th 2001 packing up for the move the following day and was unaware of what was happening, until one of my daughters said there was no children's television on as a plane had crashed in New York. It took a while to comprehend what had really happened.


We were able to move on the 12th and I was looking to see if I could find any photos of the garden when we moved in. There was only one of the back garden before we had touched it.






I took another one today to compare, ten years on.




The most obvious thing of course is that shortly after we moved in we had the two conifers cut down. The cherry tree on the left hand side of the garden has grown considerably, but has struggled in recent years. The apple trees at the top are still there  as are some of the shrubs in the borders. Otherwise all the borders at the sides and the island bed (known to the children as Dad's bed as he dug it out one week several years ago) are additions that we have made. All the existing borders have been replanted over the years. The fence on the left hand side was also replaced. 


Looking at that old photo I can see why I liked the garden when we first looked at the house. Gardens are never finished and each year there are always things that can be done and changes made. I guess that is part of the fun of gardening and why I enjoy it so.


We brought some pots with us, including this hardy fuchsia. It was a cutting from a plant in the front garden of our old house and I am very fond of it. It is now in the front garden here.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment