Thursday 29 September 2011

Bulbs

Narcissus Bulb- Laura Ribbons

Bulbs in their natural state have a certain beauty about them as the above illustration shows. However, planting them in the ground with all the expectation of what is to come the following spring is the truly exciting bit. 


Each year I imagine I will know for the next autumn where there are gaps and which bulbs I should put in. As usual, I have only a rough idea what is in the ground already and a certain amount of guesswork is required for planting positions.


The smaller narcissi such as tete a tete or minnow generally do well and due to their short stems do not get so battered by the winds. I have bought both of those to go in this year. In addition, I have ordered a tulip collection from Avon bulbs called Oranges and Lemons, which sounds bright and colourful. After winter it is so good to have bright colours once again in the garden and I will look forward to planting them in a few weeks time once they are delivered.


For next summer I have bought Allium sphaerocephalon which have egg shaped flower heads that start off green and turn purple. They are said to attract bees and butterflies when in flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment